The North Carolina Outdoor Recreation Coalition announced its 2021 Legislative Agenda and elected Dave Petri as its new Board Chair to drive the organization’s work on policy and advocacy objectives.
“Although the pandemic delayed our initiatives in 2020, it also served to point out how essential outdoor recreation is to North Carolina, its residents, and its economy,” said Petri. “We are committed to growing the outdoor recreation economy in the state, and we look forward to working alongside our state representatives, senators and the Cooper administration to make that happen.”
The coalition’s comprehensive priorities include:
- Support and growth of the NC Outdoor Recreation Industry Office;
- Completion of an interactive map of the state’s outdoor recreation assets;
- Creation of new outdoor recreation workforce development programs;
- Conservation land acquisition and infrastructure to support outdoor recreation;
- Increased funding for its Parks and Recreation Trust Fund and Land and Water Fund; and
- Address the impact of Climate Change on North Carolina’s outdoor recreation.
“This plan ensures that key issues important to our industry are addressed as the North Carolina Legislature begins its bi-annual budget process,” said Tom Dempsey, CEO, SylvanSport, and founding member of the Board. “With several new legislators and committee chairs, it’s tremendously important to reach out and inform our elected officials about NC’s thriving outdoor economy, and advocate for the things needed to grow and enhance this powerful economic driver. It’s great to have Dave leading the charge as we carry out this critical work.” Dempsey said.
More information about the NC Outdoor Recreation Coalition’s legislative agenda can be found here.