Other fishing regulation changes for 2023, in addition to the recently announced gar possession limit increase, include opening the Vermillion River in Dakota County to a catch-and-release season that mirrors the season in place for southeastern Minnesota, which allows catch and release trout fishing from Jan. 1 each year to the mid-April stream trout season opener. Additionally, the brown trout catch-and-release only regulation applies to the entire Vermillion River starting today.
New and modified regulations will also be in effect for a variety of other waters. Anglers are advised to check the regulations book for regulation details for these waters:
- Big Sandy Lake and connected waters, Aitkin County
- A portion of the upper Turtle River chain of lakes, Beltrami County
- Three Island and Turtle River lakes, Beltrami County
- Fox Lake, Beltrami County
- Caribou Lake, Itasca County
- Round Lake, Itasca County
- Otter Tail Lake, Otter Tail County
- West Battle Lake, Otter Tail County
- Cloquet and Otter rivers of Island Lake Reservoir, St. Louis County.
The 2023 Minnesota fishing regulations are available online and anywhere Minnesota fishing licenses are sold.