Are you passionate about fishing and committed to finding creative and innovative solutions to the challenges facing recreational saltwater anglers?
The Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) is launching a national talent search for a dynamic, forward-thinking Executive Director. Qualified candidates should email their resumes and cover letter here. If you know someone who might be a good fit for the position, please forward this email. Candidates seeking further information, please call our interim director, Lorna D. O’Hara, CAE at (609) 209- 9959.
Founded specifically to represent recreational saltwater anglers and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues on every coast, with state chapters established to spearhead the regional issues while building local support for the overall RFA mission:
“To safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs and ensure the long-term sustainability of U.S. saltwater fisheries.”
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is a full-time position that serves as the chief executive officer of the RFA, leading the organization, managing the organizational structure, and serving as a spokesperson for the RFA. The ED will work closely with diverse stakeholders to develop and facilitate collaborations for programming, funding, and advocacy.
The ED’s most important responsibility is ensuring consistent adherence to the mission and underlying values of the organization. In partnership with the Board of Directors, the ED will periodically reaffirm the mission, and will reassess programs, policies, and practices to ensure the alignment of the organization’s endeavors with its mission and augment the role of the organization within the community. The ED will also assess and maintain an appropriate organizational structure for the organization, defining key administrative functions required for the effective operation of the organization.
The ideal candidate should be an inspiring and results-driven leader with a strong understanding of the recreational fishing community. Passion for fishing, boating, and the regulatory and legislative processes preferred.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Effectively implement RFA programs
- Oversee fundraising and the fiscal management of the RFA
- Promote the goals and strategies of the RFA among its key constituencies in general and at selected industry shows, and events
- Travel to Washington DC and other State Houses to advocate RFA positions
- Participate on applicable boards and commissions
- Travel to and organize staffing of RFA booth at boat shows and conferences
- Management: 5 years’ experience as an executive with an organization or advanced degree or a related industry
- Development: Demonstrated business acumen, success in fundraising with a history of building and maintaining strong donor and funder relationships
- Regulatory and Legislative: Use knowledge base to effectively advocate of RFA issues and concerns
- Mission Alignment: Passion for and experience working at the intersection of outdoor recreation, sustainability, fisheries, stemming over-reach on regulations
- Program Development: History of effective program management and developing and launching new program activities that advance RFA’s mission
- Leadership: Proven management and leadership skills with the ability to work with a board
- Community Relations: Experience developing a strong community presence; knowledge and understanding of the recreational fishing community; proven ability to raise visibility of the organization by articulating an inspiring vision
- Location: Should have an office in the greater New York or Greater Philadelphia area
Qualified candidates should email their resumes and cover letter here. Candidates seeking further information, please call our interim director, Lorna D. O’Hara, CAE at (609) 209- 9959.